Sunday, October 2, 2011

How old is TOO old?

No no no.  Not me.  I'll never be too old....for anything.  But I asked BD if he thought the kids were too old to Trick-or-treat this year.

WITHOUT HESITATION....he answered.  "Yes.  But I don't dare say it to YOU!".

I was completely offended!!!  I AM A REASONABLE WOMAN!!!  I would NOT go on the ATTACK.  But back to the problem at hand.

I'm talking about this:

Candy hustling.  Ringing bells, begging for chocolate - in drag.

Even the homeowners are in drag. 



Phil got all dressed up....and stayed home.  He knows that I buy the BEST candy....enough for 200 kids....and we get 6.  I always say "next year I'll buy less".  BUT, every year....I buy enough candy for 200 kids.....blah blah blah....and you know the rest of the story.  BD used to yell at me......but after all these years, he finally figured it out. I'm Italian.  I cook for 40 when I am feeding 7.  It has cost him so much MORE every time he bitched about my spending that he finally stopped BITCHING ABOUT MY SPENDING.


This was one of my favorite years.  FREDDY got all dressed up...and stayed home and gave out the candy.  Joe went as Pink ranger.  Dave was a cross between Rue Paul and Marge Simpson.  Greg is in Red.  Phil, in blue.  (P.S. That was my favorite wallpaper in the dining room EVER - and if the 90's style ever comes back, I'm going to bring that paper back as well!) 


My rock star and Tommy the green ranger.  This was the halloween parade at the school.  Two years later, Foof was in 1st grade.....and his mask went in front of his eyes (he always had a costume that needed a MASK!) while we were trick-or-treating and he ran SMACK into a tree.  That was the LAST time he ever went out.  Dave carried a bag around for him every year and said "can I have a piece for my brother at home?"  I was shocked at how much he got!!  I would have been a little suspicious.  Maybe I AM a bitch! 

I remember when we were young, some people gave out pennies.  Not bad. Some gave out fruit. (we all knew that there would be RAZORS in the fruit so we ditched it!)  Then there was always that ONE neighbor that couldn't be home....left the big bowl of candy out.....and the first PUNK that got to it GOT IT ALL!  (we would NEVER do that....since we were under the watchful eye of my mother who even when not with us, was "with" us in our head!!  "Don't take more than one!")

But, here we are in October.  Halloween is JUST around the corner.  It's one of my favorite times of year.  However, once Halloween passes....the rest of the year goes by in a flash.   ZOOM.  Thanksgiving and Christmas seem to happen in the span of a week.  The week before is for shopping and cooking....and more shopping. 

I am going to try to enjoy myself this year.  I am going to let the KIDS decide if they want to go door to door begging for candy that will sit in it's bag for a year and the enjoy the company of the Easter candy once it gets added.   

Why don't they just eat the candy?  BECAUSE I BUY THE BEST CANDY!!!  

Full size bars baby.  FULL SIZE BARS!!  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment