Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hittin' the Road!

We are getting ready for yet ANOTHER road trip! We are off to see "number one son".  Number TWO son, "The Prince", will NOT be joining us.  He limits his public exposure with us (and sometimes rightfully so).  Numbers 3, 4, and 5 don't have a choice, although 3 has been BEGGING us to let him stay home....so he can "work" his part time job - XBOX!  Um, let's see....NO.

I love to look at old pictures of all of our little trips.  The first time we "hit the road" Dave and Foof were 4 and 2.  We drove to SC to see BD's sister graduate high school.  I'm old.  We stopped in Philly to spend the night and Laura (my friend from way back when at Tulane) suggested we stay at her house!  Foof cried ALL NIGHT.  ALLLLL NIGHT!!  Her mother was so nice - she said "that's happened to me before, no worries!"  BD, from that point forward, referred to her as a cross between June Cleaver and Carol Brady.  He was RIGHT!

We knew NOTHING when we took that trip. NOTHING!  I didn't even have a COOLER PACKED....no RUBBERMAID FULL OF DRY GOODS!!  WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!  I was so unprepared.

But, that all changed......3 years later when we hit the road again.......with Dave and Foof (the prince), Phil and Joe....and the OGO (Only Good One, Greg) "on the way".  We went "Beverly Hill Billies Style".  Double Stroller, two pack and plays, toys, FOOD, coolers.....ahhh.....I was learning.

The next year, we did it all again, but now the OGO was a new baby - so a triple stroller and three pack and plays....more food....and 20 matching outfits!  YES!  Matching outfits...and I have PICTURES TO PROVE IT!  (this picture was taken the NEXT year when the OGO was 18 months)

The woman is my MIL, Pat.  Vin, my nephew, is in BLACK.  SHOCKING!

And that's how it ALL started.  Matching outfits all the time.  I AM THE ORIGINAL KATE GOSLIN. (whom I LOVE - really, she is me).   This went on for YEARS until Dave finally said "Mom, please.  No more matching outfits on vacation.  I feel like people think we are from the YMCA summer camp."  Let me tell you...I always knew which kids were mine on the beach.....and I was HORRIBLE on the beach.  "Get back here....you are out too deep......the waves will take you away".  The kids would stand up, and the water would be at their belly buttons.  It APPEARED that they were out too deep....and YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL AT THE OCEAN.  And wait an hour to swim after you eat or you will get a cramp and die in the water.  It HAS to be true.  Every adult from my childhood told me this on Brant Rock beach.  (and we could only go out as far as our belly buttons and I turned out FINE)

As usual, for this trip I am traveling with my rubbermaid full of dry goods, my TWO coolers, my ELECTRIC SKILLET and with LOTS OF LOVE AND ANTICIPATION OF ANOTHER GREAT ROAD TRIP WITH THE BOYS!!  (and this time with the GIRLS - Jeanne and Gabi are coming too!) 

I have to add one more picture! 

Red Day!  See, even when they went on the ALL FATHERS, NO MOTHERS ALLOWED camping trips with the FF's and Police, I had them match.  (KATE GOSLIN!)  I would pack their clothes in 5 different bags. One for each day.  I MADE BD'S LIFE SO EASY!  (and still do....just don't ask him)

One more.......and then I'm going to finish packing......(Myrtle Beach with their cousin CJ)

 And now, I pack.

2 comments:

  1. MWAAAAH - I love those pictures!!! Oh, the adorable boys in their matching outfits..... (and thanks for the kind words about Mom - she was patience personified...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! Honk when you're driving by Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete