Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fabric Roller Shade......for under $30

Feel like making a fabric shade...in ONE afternoon?

First, buy any cheap, expensive...middle of the road....shade. ($7 at Lowes)  It doesn't really matter.  The worst part of buying shade is that they DON'T cut them for you anymore.  They are now sold to 'cut yourself' ....which never works for me.  

I sawed through the shade with my BEST KNIFE.  Then, it was just a smidge too big...so I had to do it ALL AGAIN! 

Pick out fabric you like!  I bought a pre-cut piece of fabric that is meant for quilting! ($13)

IT WORKED FOR ME! 

Then, buy a lightweight, cotton lining. ($3)  

Also, double sided fusing. ($5)  

AND, last but not least, trim.  (if that's what you like) 



I removed the shade from the rod.  They are just glued on.  It was EASY. 

I then cut the fabric a little bigger than the shade to allow for mistakes.  I make A LOT of mistakes. 



THEN, I flipped the fabric over, so the wrong side of the fabric faced up, and put the fusing on top.  (the paper side of the fusing should be on top, so that when you iron it, the fusing sticks to the fabric)


Iron it OVER AND OVER, on a really high setting to make sure it sticks.  ALSO, I tried to go from the middle out so that I didn't have any bubbles or creases. 

I removed the paper and put the lining on top of the fusing.  I ironed it again.  Then, I flipped it over and ironed it again on the RIGHT side of the fabric JUST TO MAKE SURE it stuck. 
(I'm a bit of a worry wart like that)


My lining was much bigger than my shade fabric.  It was cheap.  I trimmed it when it was cool. 

I then took 30 minutes to find the staple gun.  I found one from the mid 50's....I have no idea WHERE it came from, and then figured out we didn't have staples to fit it.  
I kept searching and finally found the staple gun that I LIKE (it's a little girly and you use your whole body weight to FIRE it).  Of course, I forget that the staples come out of the opposite end than you would THINK, so I put a few staples into the dining room table IN ERROR. 

I then stapled the "fabric fused to fabric"...TO THE ROD.  Make sure it lines up and rolls up evenly. This part was a PAIN IN THE ARSE. 


Hot glue the shade stick (no longer made of wood) to the bottom of the shade.  Put another bead of glue along the shade "stick" and flip it over to stick to the fabric again.....sort of a FAKE rod pocket. 


Then glue your trim.....if you DON'T have trim....don't do this step!  
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA 

(it's been a long day) 


HANG AND ENJOY! 


My bottom window looks so BLUE!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment